Monday, June 8, 2009

Lost Ones

On Friday, the world lost a very amazing woman after an extremely long and courageous battle with cancer on Friday. I remember finding out Mrs. Hatch had cancer when I still lived in Fairview... my, that was a LONG time ago. She always amazed me and encouraged me though her fight - she always - always - stayed positive and kept her faith in God. She fought quite the battle, and I will forever believe that cancer lost the battle, as she spent those 9 years showing not only me but others who were lucky enough to cross her path the true meaning behind tenderness, caring, compassion, love and faith.

Sitting here, I'm forced to remember my favourite memories about Mrs. Hatch. I grew up with her daughter, Koralee, since elementary school. And somehow, we always ended up at the Hatch house. Perhaps it was because Koralee's house provided us with a sense of freedom, yet all the while we were extremely well taken care of. Or, perhaps it was because Mrs. Hatch always served us the best food.

My favourite memory is at Koralee's birthday party. I think we were all ~15. We were all around the kitchen table, some sitting, some standing. We filled our plates, and everyone waited until everyone's plates were full before we dug in. The room was silent as people were quietly filling their plates with food and awaiting the green light to eat. Tanya and I were sitting across the table from each other and we gave each other the "screw them!" look and shoved lasagna into our mouths like we haven't ever eaten before. I mean, why are these people not eating?? Mrs. Hatch waited until our mouths were completely full before she broke the silence with "Dear Lord..." and began Grace. You would think Mrs. Hatch would have stopped Grace long enough for us to swallow our food before we choked because we were giggling so hard, but she kept her eyes closed, her composure strong, and she prayed the longest damn prayer I've ever sat through. Tanya and I had tears streaming down our faces as we tried to stay quiet with lasagna spilling out of our mouths. But Grace was said, it finally ended, and Mrs. Hatch leaned over to me and Tanya, smiled at us and said "NOW you can eat."

Mrs. Hatch has always opened her home, her table, her heart and her family to each and every person who came their way. I have always felt safe and welcomed at the Hatch house and I will never forget the woman who helped raise us into the people we are today.

Mrs. Hatch, I will always remember you fondly and thank you so much for everything you've taught me. The world lost an extremely amazing woman, someone who, if only more people would be like, would change the world.

I am so sad I won't be able to make the funeral... words really cannot express my sadness.... but I will think of you this week and forever. Keep watch over Koralee, Riley and Ron. And please, keep playing the piano in Heaven.



You can shed tears that she is gone,
or you can smile because she has lived.
You can close your eyes and pray that she'll come back,
or you can open your eyes and see all she's left.
Your heart can be empty because you can't see her,
or you can be full of the love you shared.
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday,
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.
You can remember her only that she is gone,
or you can cherish her memory and let it live on.
You can cry and close your mind,
be empty and turn your back.
Or you can do what she'd want:
smile, open your eyes, love and go on



Alan Jackson - Sissy's Song (Official Music Video) - For more of the funniest videos, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!