Sunday, June 20, 2010

My "Last" Birthday

I used to be really huge on birthdays. Like, when it's someone's birthday a national holiday should be created for that particular person. I love birthdays. But this year, things just felt very different. I didn't really care that it was my birthday. Ryan and I were talking about having another BBQ and I suggested doing it on my birthday and that's what we did - we invited a bunch of friends over and had a BBQ outside on one of June's most beautiful days. And even though I didn't tell any of the invites that it was my birthday, good ol' Facebook did that for me haha. It was such a great time!

I didn't take any photos though, sorry!

The morning started off with us sleeping in. Ryan's sister Karrie came in the night before and took me out for supper and Bauer woke us up at about 9am on Saturday, suddenly remembering that someone else was in the house and he needed to inspect and let us know the progress. So then we got up, and the preparations started.

I don't know why I was even remotely surprised at how Ryan was yesterday, but for some strange reason, he just... surprised me. He did EVERYTHING. He cleaned the tables, the chairs, set everything up, cut up wood for the fire, started the burgers and hotdogs (all to be put into a sauce he also made in the slow cooker), he swept the floor, got tables set up for the buffet, and just really took charge of the day. I could not have asked for a better gift, and I am so grateful for everything he did yesterday. I can't express how lucky I am!!

All I did yesterday was go grocery shopping and I helped out here and there. Ryan was really the star of the show yesterday. Yet, for some reason, even though I got at least 8 hours of sleep last night, I am EXHAUSTED today!!!

It was such a great time yesterday - great friends, great conversations, great weather. It was absolutely beautiful. And when it cooled down at night, we christened the fire pit by lighting it up for the first time in 2010. Can't believe that had to wait until mid-June!!!

A friend brought Crave cupcakes (which also played a part in my breakfast this morning...) and my parents brought a Vegan birthday cake - mmm. The kids all had fun running around our huge back yard and playing in the little pool we had set up. Some people we wanted there couldn't make it but all in all, it just worked out perfectly. Yay!

So thanks to all who celebrated my birthday yesterday, even though most of you didn't know it was my birthday. I had a blast and I hope you did too!

Now, it's nap time!

1 comment:

  1. I've never made a big deal about my birthday, but this year I'm even less enthusiastic about it. It's 4 weeks before Madeline's due date, and that seems like such a bigger deal than me turning another year older. Who knows if I'll do anything at all?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!